Why Expedition Therapy?
Expedition Therapy is an exciting, challenging, outdoor adventure experience. It has been designed for young adults, age 18+, who want to move forward in life.
Expedition Therapy provides participants with individualized therapy in the context of a back country skills and leadership course. Overcoming challenges while canyoneering, rock climbing, and backpacking expands students’ ideas about what is possible and fosters self-confidence.
The Expedition Therapy curriculum teaches the importance of teamwork. Participants develop into leaders and learn to facilitate group processes. Expedition Therapy’s team of directors, therapists and mentors offer extensive guidance, teaching and wilderness therapy experience. Our dedication to the highest standards makes Expedition Therapy the choice for individuals facing a challenging crossroads in their lives.
Here are some of the qualities that place Expedition Therapy above the rest:
- Extended wilderness expeditions: Rock Climbing, Canyoneering, Backpacking and more
- Hands-on technical skills training
- Educational components including geology, ecology, astronomy and cultural history of the desert southwest
- Core team members have extensive wilderness therapy experience as well as professional medical and emergency response training certifications (WFR, WEMT)
- Active family involvement through support sessions and Family Expeditions
- Voluntary participation – groups are actively involved and emotionally safe
- Verifiable outcomes including increased self-esteem, positive behavioral changes, renewed confidence, effective communication and career and leadership development
- Students learn and teach therapeutic curriculum
- An affordable, high quality therapeutic program
- Member of the National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs (NATSAP)
- Member of the Association for Experiential Education (AEE)
- Fully permitted and insured
- Psycho-educational testing available